Monday, August 4, 2008

Distraction Technique


I started out the weekend sorting 'stuff' to go into our retreat booth...tubs and boxes and what's left in the trailer from the Reno trip. I made some great progress! Found a lot of gold bling-y stuff to add sparkle to the new ivory-tan-brown look that's going in. Then yesterday the sun was shining and it was heading upwards of 80 degrees, and Mr Bob decided that staying home was not an option. I'm a sucker for distraction, and he is a master at the technique - so, inevitably, we headed out and hit a few garage sales!

Sorry, no photos of our haul, but we ended up with some old gold frames & jewelry tidbits, some plates with the Eiffel tower on them, a glass dome, some gold sconces, two white and gold enamel glasses, and a Frenchy hanging globe light - all of which will find their way into the booth after some TLC.

Today I am back to work on the prep for the booth. In June, I made some really fun collaged art with a Paris theme for the Cotillion - you can see a lampshade and a framed piece in this shot...

...and a wastecan (sold) in this one...

There is also a FABulous wood folding game table that I decopauged old sheet music, posters of Paris, and ephemera onto, then aged, then sealed....I love this piece. It's not my style for my home, but it turned out so darned great that I am just in love with it. I promise I'll get photos when I set up the booth...this table is going to be the star of the show, I tell ya. (I would swear to the fact that I took photos of the whole set of collaged art together, but it's gone missing on my hard drive.)

Well, anyway, all this stuff has formed the basis of our new look in the booth for August. It's warm and soft and transitional from summer to fall, and also really fun to design around. My problem is I keep adding more and more and more - and now I really need to just get in there and reset the display. So that's my plan for the next two days. retreat goes to a Paris Flea Market. And Deb gets to work...