Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Want to Define Your Decorating Style?


Through a lovely reader, Cindy, I found out about a decorating quiz that is sure to determine your style. Well, you know me, I can't resist that, so I clicked on over to Sproost to check out the quiz .

As Cindy said, this is the equivalent of having Karen MacAloon from 'What's Your Style?' on HGTV show up and snoop through your house to tell you what your style really is. 'ContemporaryCraftsmanFunk' could be the answer - which tells you nothing, really - but I took the test anyway, and it was fun! I recommend it, even if you are 100% sure about what you like every day of the week. For most of us who love antique & vintage style, it is interesting to narrow it down to what styles within that wide range we prefer...

My results?
(I laughed when this photo and the one way up above came up in the test, because this is exactly what I have designed our house to look like in the long run. We even have this sofa!)


You may notice that my own preferences up there tend to appear in our Retreat Collections - the Beach look, as well as a Farmhouse theme and Vintage Garden feel are all near and dear to my heart, sparked by happy memories. Trends like French Eclectic style have migrated the other way - because I was designing in that theme for Retreat, it started showing up at home! (And now, amazingly, I sometimes dream of a vacation in France...)

Mr. Deb, on the other hand, is partial to mountain lodges, lakeside cabins, and rambling western ranches. He gets his turn in some of our themes, including our upcoming collection for Farm Chicks - which combines his love of rusticity with my penchant for soft neutral colors. Our 'Tattered & Torn Texas Retreat' products are well underway here on the Farm.

Go ahead, pop on over there and take the quiz. The 'new-found' knowledge you gain about your style preferences may actually help you to see that those elements have been showing up more often than not over the past few years. And that helps you to know exactly what you are looking for when you are shopping marvelous vintage boutiques & shows... before your best girlfriend gets it!